gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Vote for this site!

gfx gfx
gfx
235554 Posts in 20697 Topics by 8807 Members - Latest Member: annzmora01 October 23, 2018, 10:47:11 AM
gfxHomeForumPicturesHelpSearchGamesMobileProfileEventsLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
0 Members are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hate asking. Usually can figure stuff out my own but...  (Read 95 times)
95-Jeep
Jim

« on: September 30, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »

Vehicle.....1999 old body style k1500 Chevy

Bought used with a 3 inch suspension lift

Camber was way off tires tipped way in

New camber bolts, knock outs removed
New upper and lower ball joints
New shocks

Problem is

Bolts are adjusted to the farthest out position
Tires sit straight up and down within specs.
Usually

With truck in level ground tires sit straight. I can grab the top of the tire and “wiggle” it in and out. This causes everything to tilt and the upper control arm to contact the shock

I cannot do this on my Tahoe. There is not movement

What am I missing. Is it a improper angle from lower control arm?  Do I need to go back to stock tortuon keys

Any ideas??   Thanks in advance

Also considering trading truck for a S-10 truck or blazer
old school truck dude
Trade Count: (10)

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »

Post pics of this front end from a few different angles  up close, plz   - is this a torsion key lift, or are there brackets and aftermarket control arms etc on it? You may need different control arms, be missing something, etc... The shock runs pretty close to the top on these Grin

One of my trucks might be a lot bigger than yours.. Smiley
95-Jeep
Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »

It’s torsion keys. And stupid extenders on the shocks. Control arms are stock.
old school truck dude

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »

3" seems like too much lift for just a torsion key lift, it puts the control arms at a pretty wild angle. Ive cranked up the bars on my old one and the geometry got all screwed up at only 2". Most of the aftermarket companies advertise a torsion key lift as merely a leveling kit to give about 1.5 - 2" at the most. The control arms end up being at such an extreme angle that the up and down movement turns into in and out and all around LOL If youre getting movement of the the tire at the top, maybe theres some free play in the upper control arm bushings. It is absolutely critical to have the front bumper on the frame solid and tight - it keeps the whole front end of the frame from racking itself (frame rails twisting). Without it, it doesnt matter if all the steering parts are brand new, it will flop back and forth. On my old 90 I just cranked up the bars enough to get it close to level (pic included)

95-Jeep
Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:16:04 AM »

Not sure what they put in it. I know the keys are different and there’s a block in the rear. I have the keys at their lowest point. No movement in bushings. I was watching it again when the tres tip in the upper arms are moving up. As they should I believe. I kind of feel as though I need to replace the keys with a set of stock keys and remove the block in the rear. And leave it that way until I’ve saved enough to get an actual 4 to 6 inch lift.
old school truck dude

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »

Not sure what they put in it. I know the keys are different and there’s a block in the rear. I have the keys at their lowest point. No movement in bushings. I was watching it again when the tres tip in the upper arms are moving up. As they should I believe. I kind of feel as though I need to replace the keys with a set of stock keys and remove the block in the rear. And leave it that way until I’ve saved enough to get an actual 4 to 6 inch lift.

By jove, you've got it now Smiley Torsion key lift is no good far as I know

What I did on mine was turn the bolts on the torsion bars up equally until the A-arms just barely touched the Bump to the top! stop, then I torched the top of the Bump to the top! stop off. Added a random leaf in the rear along with some keepers so the leafs would'nt shift and get into a tire, and bought new center bolts for the spring pack and new slightly longer u-bolts. Pic is of the Bump to the top! stop, I just trimmed off the top of it without disturbing anything else. I had to buy some shocks that were about 1 1/2" longer as the stock shock would not allow any down travel at all, and you need some otherwise you'll have a wheel in the air every time you go over a pothole or whatever.  Peace & Love!

0 Members are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx